Thursday, January 3, 2013

Rice Bags


Backaches suck, what can I say. I don't get them very often but occasionally I do something just wrong and wham, here we go again.  Well, I don't know if it was washing the kitchen floor or doing the dishes yesterday (either way I blame housework) but I woke up this morning with a bit of a pull.  And I have found the best way to get over a back strain is to hang out with a rice bag, heated nice and toasty and knit.  Oh and a little Tylenol doesn't hurt. My kids also like these rice bags, Fynn always steals mine and takes them to bed with him in the winter.  We don't heat them very much, for fear of burns, but I think they make him nice and cozy in bed.  Anyway, I went hunting for my rice bag tonight and low and behold I could not find a single one.  So I had to make one. 
This is not a tricky project, at all.  I decided I wanted a nice big one so I took a fat quarter (fabric by Denyse Schmidt) and folded it in half, right sides together.  And sewed around the 3 open sides leaving a 4" opening in the middle of the long side to add the rice.  Then, I turned it right side out, added enough rice to fill it about half way, and edge stitched the opening closed.  I know, I could have and sewn it closed for a neater finish but I was impatient.  A few minutes in the microwave to get it nice and hot and...ahhhhh, I'm sitting here writing this post in comfort.  And next I'm going to do some work on a little sweater for my niece for her birthday. 

No comments: