Monday, May 24, 2010

Canning When it is Hot

Since we now live in the country we are working on getting gardens going so we can grow as much of our own food as possible.  And when all of this food is grown and ready to be picked some of will be canned one way or another. I have been looking through my cookbook and thinking about all of the different stuff I want to try to make this year. 

One problem...canning means heat, lots of heat.  And who wants all of that heat in their kitchen in the middle of summer?  So we decided we would try doing this over a fire outside in the fire pit.  We wanted to see if we could get the fire hot enough to sustain a boil.  And we did.  So Saturday Patrick built the fire and was in charge of the water and I bustled about and made Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Rhubarb in Syrup, Rhubarb Barbeque sauce, sour pickled fiddleheads, and lilac jelly.  And we processed it all outside, in the breeze, and the sun.  And even with having to cart everything outside to fill the jars, it was so nice to be able to walk into my kitchen and not fall over from the heat of a boiling canner. 
This is going to be so great come pickle season once the beans and cucumbers are ready.  I have so many plans to make. 
In other garden news, I have green things in my bathtub gardens!!!! 

No comments: